Crowan Parish Council needs Community Flood Wardens for Praze-an-Beeble, Crowan, Leedstown, Townshend and Nancegollan. Could you be of service to your community?
Community Flood Wardens will:
- Make preparations BEFORE flooding
- Take action DURING a flooding
- Offer support AFTER a flooding
Different individuals will be suited to different tasks. The guiding principle is always to work in pairs if possible and to keep safe. The different tasks that volunteers might perform are:
- Checking drains and culverts and reporting problems
- Warning and informing vulnerable members of the community
- Monitoring rain gauges and river levels
- Alerting motorists to a flooded area of the road ahead by ensuring correct signage is in place
- Assisting the emergency services at a cordon
- Using social media to update the wider community
Most importantly, volunteer flood wardens are not there to carry out the role of the emergency services. Volunteers should not be involved in rescuing individuals or vehicles from flood water, standing in roads to divert traffic or undertaking any other activity that puts them at risk. Flood water should only be entered by members of the emergency services who have been trained and equipped to do so.